In 1864, during the War
Between the States, soldiers marched and battles were fought along
the land that is now called Woodmont Estates subdivision. Historical
markers in and around Green Hills community, which is five miles
south of the Nashville Courthouse, tell the story of the many battles
In the year 1905, Gus A. Puryear, Sr. purchased a beautiful 336 acre farm for his family. He built a home on the farm which his wife affectionately called “Woodmont”. Later, in 1918, a few years after the home was destroyed by fire, a road, near where the home had once been, was newly constructed and became known as Woodmont Boulevard. In 1937, the Puryear farm was subdivided into large residential building sites. The new subdivision was aptly named “Woodmont Estates.” Being conscientious about the beauty of his land, Mr. Puryear had hired the nationally recognized Olmsted Brothers Landscape Architect Company of New York, the same firm that designed New York’s Central Park, as well as the approach road to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina, to design his new subdivision. Subdivisions were new to Nashville, and Woodmont Estates was one of the first known “planned” subdivisions. Instead of building the sites into “squares” or “blocks”, the roads in Woodmont Estates were designed to follow the lay of the land -- either to flow in harmony with the meandering brook in the valley or to rise gently around or across the low rolling hills.
|Woodmont Estates Neighborhood Association|